Saturday, June 19, 2010

Blogs

         On one of the blogs I follow, Angela Ackerman's The Bookshelf Muse, Angela recently asked commenters to provide some of those blogs they "can't live without."
         Personally, I love The Bookshelf Muse, with its great tips and wonderful emotion and setting thesauruses.
         After receiving lots of great comments about other blogs, Angela posted the responses today.
         I am reprinting them here.  Many of them I already follow and a few I've already linked to on this blog. (Some of Angela's suggestions are geared toward childrens, middle grade and Y.A. and writing. You can sort those out on your own.) 
        I didn't do the links for the Writing and Authors section. Frankly, there are zillions of blogs and sites out there--many of which are not on the list-- and I didn't check these out.  I'm including them, anyway. You can click on The Bookshelf Muse to get those yourself! It's well worth the trip.
Agents & Industry
Rachelle Gardner's Rants & Ramblings
Nathan Bransford
Mandy Hubbard
BookEnds LLC
FinePrint Blog
Janet Reid
Kidlit.com
Getting Past the Gatekeeper
Pub Rants
Guide to Literary Agents
The Intern
Edittorrent
Editorial Anonymous
The Rejecter
The Blood Red Pencil
Pimp My Novel
Writer Unboxed
Query and MS Tuneage
Query Shark
Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips
Query Tracker Blog
Public Query Slushpile
The Book Doctor
Plot to Punctuation
Darcy Pattison
Miss Snark's First Victim
Your First Page
Writers, Authors & Writing
Adventures in Children's Publishing
YA Highway
Kiersten Writes
Jody Hedlund
Shrinking Violets
Anita Nolan
Market My Words
Elana Johnson
Grab a Pen
We Love YA
Margie Lawson
Spilling Ink
Sisters in Scribe
Hey Teenager
Cornell Deville
Angels and Demons and Portals. Oh My.
Word Play
The Bluestocking Blog
Literary Rambles
Candace's Book Blog
La Femme Readers
Mystery Writing is Murder
Writers' Alley
Romance University
Super Mom Writes
The Deadline Dames
Cynsations
Pretorios
Beth Revis
Neil Gaiman
Laini Taylor
No Letters on My Keyboard
Words From the Woods
Falen Formulates Fiction
Fiction Groupie
Mark of the Stars
Readatouille
From the Mixed Up Files
Through the Toolbooth
Writer Jenn
Elizabeth Craig's Twitter
Writing for Children
The Graveyard Shift
Shooting Stars
Mary DeMuth
Between Fact and Fiction
Limyaael's Rants
Southern Princess
Cat Woods
Daily Pep For Writers
Laurel's Leaves
Weronika Janczuk
Shannon O'Donnell
Womagwriter
Jill Kemerer
Let the Words Flow
Practicing Writing
A Brain Scientist's Take on Writing
Sara Merrick
Slushbusters


       

11 comments:

Carly Phillips said...

Great idea to put all in one place! :)

Taryn Kincaid said...

Hope everyone will find it useful.

Wendy S Marcus said...

I love The Bookshelf Muse, too! Great info on craft. When I have some time I'm going to check a few of these out. Thanks, Terri!

Travis Erwin said...

That is a great list. I follow most of them, but need to check out a few more of these.

Taryn Kincaid said...

Hi, Travis. Glad you stopped by! I wish I could take credit for compiling the list, but the credit belongs to Angela Ackerman at The Bookshelf Muse.

Taryn Kincaid said...

Wendy -- Sometimes the agent blogs are baffling. They all have different preferences regarding queries and synopses. Bottom line seems to be, they want a great voice and terrific story firt and foremost and the query and synopsis should convey they.
Scott Eagen of the Greyhaus Literary Agency, who is not on this list, but whose blog I follow has a good blog post about that today. http://scotteagan.blogspot.com/2010/06/there-is-no-right-or-wrong-way-just.html

Angela Ackerman said...

Terri I agree--agent preferences (and editor ones) can be baffling. I think tho, that with the plethora of blogs about agents (both written by agents and others like Literary Rambles), they really help us tailor to preferences and also taste.

Glad the list is useful. :)

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Taryn Kincaid said...

The compilation is fabulous. Thanks so much, Angela. Re: agents blogs. Aside from the discrepancies from one agent to the next, they generally do offer wonderful tips for pitching and querying. And I'm always fascinated to see what editors tweet on Twitter!

Jennifer Probst said...

More great information to sort through - thanks for doing this for everyone. I never checked out the Bookshelf Muse before so now I have it marked.

Shoshanna Evers said...

Very interesting stuff!

Taryn Kincaid said...

Thanks, ladies. Busy week for me. Sorry there's no update.

Post a Comment