Friday, February 11, 2011

FRIEND FRIDAY: SARA BROOKES

           As you'll see below, the amazing Sara Brookes, a fellow member of RWA's Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal chapter and my guest blogger today, is modest to a fault. So I'll toot her horn a little for her: She is the creator and originator of Six Sentence Sunday, something I have come to look forward to -- more than sleep and snacks -- every weekend. In one year, Six Sentence Sunday has grown from a twinkle in the eye whose four members could be counted on one hand, to nearly 70 participants as of last Sunday!
           And, if you're in the the market for a feisty, kick-ass space cowgirl of a heroine, Sara's heroine Taran cannot be beat.  (And I'm not just saying that because of the clever name!)
          But I'll let Sara tell you all about Taran and her story.
          Be nice to her while I'm slaving away at the evil day job. I'll see y'all soon!
          Here's Sara!

                                                     *** *** ***                                        

Hi there! First of all, huge thanks to Taryn for asking me here today. Taryn and I started talking on Twitter and she’s one of the regular participants in Six Sentence Sunday, which is a blast.

I write a variety of genres: paranormal, urban fantasy, contemporary and science fiction— all in erotic romance with varying heat levels. What can I say? Writing for me is like ice cream, there’s more than one flavor and I like them all.

Recently, the second book in my science fiction series just released. MIDNIGHT'S SHADOW was one of those books that demanded to be written. When I started writing it last year, I was actually deep in the middle of another book. However, one of main characters started talking and…well…sometimes you just have to listen. I’ve learned that sometimes it’s better to simply give in, get out what that particular character is trying to say and then you can go back to what you were previously working on.

That scene—which is a pivotal one, as it’s a turning point for one of the characters—made it to the final cut of the book and is one of my favorites. See? It pays to listen to the characters sometimes and go with the flow.

MIDNIGHT'S SHADOW is available now from Liquid Silver Books


 It’s been months since the traumatic and life-altering events on Sulis. Wallace hasn’t been the same and Taran has spent her nights in an empty bed. When a stranger offers her the opportunity to pilot the extraordinary Spyridon—Taran refuses. There’s too much emotional turmoil in her life right now and the less complications, the better.

But Wallace has other ideas and seizes the opportunity without her knowledge. He deliberately sacrifices the one thing Taran loves unconditionally—Eidolon.

Now Taran finds herself captain of a starship that legend paints as haunted. Nothing is as it seems on a ship that appears to have a mind of its own. Forced to accept the consequences before her, Taran will have to put her faith in a man she doesn’t trust as she tries to win back the love of the man she does.

And MIDNIGHT'S GHOST, the first book in the Star Runner Saga series, is available from Liquid Silver as well.

The timeline is excruciating.

Taran has three days to get her former lover – whom she’s barely speaking to – and the mysterious teenager she knows nothing about from one planet to another. Given the fact her ship, Eidolon, is the fastest in the star runner fleet, Taran knows she can make the run in the time Wallace has allotted. As the best – and only – female pilot, she’s got something to prove.

As if things weren’t complicated enough, Wallace, and the teenager he has in tow, are both escapees from the harshest prison facility in seven galaxies. Not only is Taran putting her career on the line, she’s got the Intergalactic Patrol hot on her heels. It isn’t long before unresolved feelings and tempers flare to life again and Taran is left second-guessing her decision of putting everything she stands for on the line.

Her determination may just cost her everything.

Read excerpts at http://www.sarabrookes.net/

--------
Sara has always been fascinated by the strange, the unusual, the twisted and the lost. She enjoys writing about reality with a razor sharp edge and loves where that sometimes takes her during the journey. Sara lives in Virginia with her husband, who long ago accepted the fact she converses with imaginary people. They are the proud parents of an energetic daughter who constantly wonders why Mom doesn’t just have the laptop surgically attached to her hip. The entire family is owned by two cats, Galahad and Loki, who graciously allow them to live in their house. She is a member of RWA, the Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal chapter of RWA, the Passionate Ink chapter of RWA and EPIC Authors.


Friend Sara on Facebook.
Follow her on Twitter.

14 comments:

Sara Brookes said...

WooHoo! Thanks for having me over here today, Taryn. :^)

Taryn Kincaid said...

I'm delighted to have you! Sorry I couldn't be more of a cheerleader, but I just got home from work. Will try to drum up some support!

Alanna Coca said...

I read Midnight's Ghost. Can't wait to read Midnight's Shadow. Hope there's a yellow chair in there...

Sarah Grimm said...

Both sound great, Sara. I'm going to have to get them.

Patricia Preston said...

Hey! Enjoyed reading your post. The books sound really good and I love the covers. Hope you have a great weekend.

Liia Ann White said...

I SO can't wait to read Midnight's Shadow! I loved Midnight's Ghost!
It's next on my list ;-)

Taryn Kincaid said...

Alanna: I'm looking forward to Midnight's Shadow, too. (Taken with Taran. Not to mention Wallace. Even Reese.)

Taryn Kincaid said...

Sarah and Pat -- You're in for a treat.

Taryn Kincaid said...

On my list too!

Janet Lane Walters said...

Book sounds great. Do like Science fiction adventure.

Taryn Kincaid said...

I think you might like this, Janet. Fast-paced space romp!

Anonymous said...

Yikes, my TBR list is getting larger by second ladies!!

You girls rock!

Sara Brookes said...

Aw, Alanna remembered the yellow chair secret. :^)

Anonymous said...

Space cowboy?! I'm in! Will definitely check it out.

Post a Comment